The first record of the existence of a ‘castrum’ in Vergano dates back to 1339 and is reported by the historian Azario. Already an autonomous Municipality since 1897, it was annexed to Borgomanero in 1928.
The parish church was built in 1584 and dedicated to St Francis of Assisi and St Mary of the Assumption. In 1597, the nobles Gianfrancesco and Giuseppe Tornielli – whose family had been linked to Vergano for thousands of years – built the first parish church and transferred there their patronage rights from the old church near the cemetery.
The most recent parish church dates from 1918. The parish also includes the Casali Piovino, Fugnano, Canuggioni and Baraggioni.