The parish church dedicated to the namesake saint was erected in 1947 to separate it from that of Borgomanero. In 1540, a water mill was built in the place called ‘cassine d’Agogna’ and then a small Oratory ‘where the neighbouring farmers gather on feast days to teach Christian doctrine to their children’.
Bartolomeo Solari, a descendant of one of the families considered to be among the largest landowners in San Marco in those centuries, was the priest who was responsible for the first renovation. He promoted a collection and the money was donated to enlarge the original chapel in 1663, by order of Bishop Odescalchi.
In the 1870s, the church was substantially enlarged and the square in front of it was created on a design by engineer Carlo Del Bono. He was an administrator of the Borgomanerese Community and supervised the work and the construction of the bell tower for free. It was solemnly inaugurated on the feast of St Marco in 1874.
The new parish church was built in the last decade and consecrated by Monsignor Aldo del Monte, Bishop of Novara.